Re: [SQU] Squid is NOT a FTP proxy .. now what ?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:50:03 -0600

Nope.

If you try to use an ftp client (not a browser proxying through Squid),
proxied or otherwise, with Squid it will not work. That means a real
ftp client, like ncftp, cuteftp, etc. Browsers, when configured to use
a proxy will talk the http, not ftp, protocol to the proxy. So, Squid
works.

Squid knows how to talk to an ftp server, but not how to talk to an ftp
client. So, as Robert said, Squid doesn't do client side ftp.

You're thinking of your browser as an ftp client (and it can be) but in
the context of proxying, it acts as an http client to an http proxy that
just happens to know how to talk to an FTP server.

More clear now?

Adam Lang wrote:

> Ah, I think I get it.
>
> If I'm on a Webpage and I click a link to download a file that is located on
> an ftp server, it will work. If I actually try to go to an FTP site, it
> doesn't.
>
> Correct?
>
> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer