[SQU] cache digest negative hits and caching

From: Chris DeCenzo <decenzo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:03:44 -0800

Hi.

I notice that when I have a false cache hit among my sibling caches, the
page ultimately fetched from the origin web server is not cached.

In other words:
- client sends request to first cache.
- first cache deduces from cache digest that page sits on second cache.
- first cache places request to second cache.
- second cache returns MISS.
- first cache places request to origin web server.
- first cache returns response from origin web server to client.
- first cache does not cache this response.

Regarding the last step, why would the first cache not cache this response?
Is this by design?

I am using Squid 2.3 stable 3 build with cache digests enabled. My Squid
caches are all siblings to one another (ie. no parents), and I would prefer
not to turn on miss_access among my sibling caches.

Thanks for any help or insights!
-Chris

Christopher DeCenzo
Liberate Technologies