[SQU] FAQ: Squid on AIX

From: Matthias Weigel <matthias.weigel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:05:11 +0100

Hi,

i am running squid on AIX. I had big problems with squid crashing very
often. Scanning this lists archive i found posts of others with the same
problem, however no solution. Squid ran fine until its memorysize
reached 256 MB of virtual memory. Then it crashed with obscure error
messages.
It seems i have now solved the problem and a stable squid (one month
without a crash).

So here i share my findings (for the FAQ?).

I am using AIX 4.3.3 and squid 2.3Stable4, compiled with gcc2.95.2.

On AIX ulimits are configured in file <em>/etc/security/limits</em>.
Squid wants lots of memory and filedescriptors, so i used

The MAIN problem on AIX for squid is the fact, that AIX places some
additional ulimits into the binary file during linking! See the ld
manpage for more details. The default ulimit for datasegment size as
specified in the binary is 256 MB.
This can be changed by the following commandline switch to gcc during
linking: <em>-Wl,-bmaxdata:0x40000000</em>. The number 0x40000000 is the
limit in bytes, specified in HEX. So this example means 1GB of
datasegment size.
Additionally i used the gcc compiletime switch <em>-mcpu=common</em> to
be able to copy binaries between different AIX systems.

Hope this is useful.

Matthias