Re: [squid-users] Poor AsyncIO Performance

From: Chris Conn <cconn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:53:47 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, William Wishon wrote:

> I had been running squid without asyncio until recently. I wanted to see if
> turning it on would help increase squid's performance. But when I turned on
> asyncio my response time to cache hits went from averaging about 40ms to
> about 110ms. My setup is this:
>
> Slackware Linux 7.1
> Squid2.3-STABLE
> cache_dir is an 8Gig reiserfs partition.
> the number of filedescriptors has been raised to 8192.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what the possible reasons for a decrease in
> performance would be after turning on asyncio?

Hello,

I have heard umpteen times not to use AsyncIO and Linux with the 2.3
series...I have also heard to use it with 2.4 instead of diskd under
linux. I probably will switch myself to it someday.

Also, reading the FAQ, it states that AsyncIO will probably be slower if
your cache is not too busy.

C.