[squid-users] 60% clarification

From: M. Yu <myu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:48:23 +0800

Hello all,

Just wanted to clarify something. I've read in almost every performance doc
the admonition that on Unix/Linux, performance drops once disk utilization
goes past 60%. A co-worker and I are arguing over what this means:

1. 60% of the formatted partition

OR

2. 60% of the entire disk whether formatted or not

I go for 1 since I'm thinking if the partition isn't formatted, it isn't
counted. My co-worker says the percentage refers to 2 since performance is
dependent on the disk itself and not just on the formatted partition. Am I
correct or is he?

M. Yu