Re: [squid-users] Squid - Dual CPUs

From: Chris Kleinschmidt <christopherk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:17:07 +1000

Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
> Hello all
> is there any thing that you need to do to squid if you go from one cpu to two on FreeBSD 4.0?

No. No changes.
Two CPUs will mean that any other process that runs with or at the same
time
as squid will not take CPU away from the squid process. This meant
major
increases in performance for us, as we use the same machine for a number
of
different purposes (file serving, print serving, and associated resource
accounting). Squid itself doesn't make use of the 2nd CPU, but the OS
will
ensure Squid gets all the power it can out of the CPU it is allocated
to.
For us, this was a significant improvement in performance... though it
must
be said that Squid is not a CPU hog even at the worst of times (it does
love memory, however).

My only suggestion is to ensure you have tonnes of memory on the
machine.
We found 512M to 1G to be ok. 256M is definitely insufficient. You
also
need to adjust the swap file, if you are going to increase the RAM...

--
C.M.Kleinschmidt                   Unit 1, 10 Standish St
christopherk@optusnet.com.au            North Rockhampton