[squid-users] stupid temperature question

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:56:58 -0400

Hi All,

Ok, it's been some time since I visited rrdtool, and I was going to make an
rrd to store my temperatures. So I got into deciding what I needed for
archives, and I think I've just confused myself.

If I wanted to store temperature data for say 2 years. Taking a temperature
reading every half hour. I got to thinking, wouldn't I just need one RRA?
Namely:

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:17520 where 17520 is the number of half-hours in a year?
But to me this just doesn't look right. I think I'm missing the entire
concept or RRA's here..While I think this would work to give me my half-hour
readouts for a year, do I need an RRA for each "level" of read-outs I want,
ie, a daily RRA, a weekly RRA, a montly RRA and a yearly RRA? But doesn't
rrdtool figure this out anyway when I go to graph it?

I've read the documenation on-line, but still am confused as to why I'd need
more than one RRA:AVERAGE statement for my data I guess is the bottom line.

I realize I've completely rambled on here, my apologies. I've simply
confused myself here! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matt