Re: [squid-users] virtual hosts in accelerator mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:09:09 +0100

What you are missing is a method for Squid to find the backend server
name for your accelerated domains, and thus it loops back on itself. My
recommended setup is to

1. Build Squid with --disable-internal-dns

2. Add your domains to /etc/hosts on the Squid machine, with the IP of
the real web server(s).

3. Configure Squid with

httpd_accel_host your.main.domain
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

acl myservers dst ip.of.your.server ...[if more than one backend server]
acl http protocol http
acl port80 port 80
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0
http_access allow myservers http port80
http_access deny all

[plus any other directirectives as needed for cache, refresh rules and
so on]

Note: httpd_accel_host virtual is for IP virtual hosts, not domain based
hosts.

And yes, the httpd_accel_host directive is somewhat confusing in how it
works. It is probably a bad name for that directive, but has stayed from
the initial "accelerator" configuration mode where IP or host based
domains was not supported at all.. and which was a big hack to start
with...

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker