Re: [squid-users] Worried Mallinfo

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:59:07 +0100

The % figure is % of the process size of Squid that is actually in use.
Has nothing to do with how much RAM your box has. In your cachemgr
output Squid is using 100776 KB.

Explanation: UNIX memory allocation is done in two levels. UNIX and
malloc(). The UNIX level gives each process a large virtual block of
contigous address space. malloc() then divides this large block up in
smaller chunks as requested by the application. Malloc also maintains
it's own idea of what is in use or not. This saves UNIX from having to
keep track of each and every memory allocation/deallocation done by the
application.

The fact that the % is more than 100 is only a slight calculation error
in Squid, caused by a minor misunderstanding of what the values returned
by mallinfo() actually represents.. (it is off by the "Holding blocks").

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker