Re: [squid-users] dnsserver and --enable-asyncronous-io

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:06:04 +0200

Chris Lundell wrote:

> Two newbie questions:
>
> 1. When trying to enable "cache-dns-program" in squid.conf with the
> pathname to dnsserver, I get a "parseConfigFile" error after doing
> "squid -k reconfigure". The pathname is correct and dnsserver is
> executable across the board. Any ideas? I also get the same error when
> trying to enable "dns-children".

Squid-2.3+ does not use the externl dnsserver helper process. These
directives are only valid if you have selected to build Squid using the
old dnsserver approach to DNS lookups (--disable-internal-dns).

> 2. If you configured Squid with --enable-asyncronous-io, do you need to
> run dnsserver?

They are not related. One is for disk I/O the other for DNS lookups. You
can rune one without the other, both or none of them.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker