[squid-users] New feature ?

From: Andrei B. <andrixnet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 01:15:37 -0700 (PDT)

 I am running an specific setup of squid for use with a EuropeOnline
account and a satellite dish and receiver card.

 Squid fetches files over the direct link and from a parent cache
without ICP and with authentication.

I'd like to customize it more for the following purpose :
- the satellite link is somewhat faster (sometimes even 20 fold) but
with high latency. Also with long breaks in communication.

I'd like to tell squid the following:
1) try to get all files via the direct, dial-up line.
2) check for size of these files.
3) if size exceeds X kb, then cancel the direct connection and get them
from the parent cache (satellite link)
4) if size is less the X kb, continue with download

There is a reason for this:
- if I get images via satellite, web navigation latency is large. Too
large. If I set images to come from parent, I wait a lot for a page to
load, mainly for the initial connect phase, even if download is faster.
- if I want a small file to download, let it come directly.
- if I want a large file, including photos (pretty large files) (ie a
friend put an online album with photos from his holidays for his
friends to view and the jpegs are 300-500k apiece (scans)) i'd like to
get them on the fast link.

Is there any way to do this?

Also i'd like to set a new timeout for retrying a download as follows:
if no data is received for X seconds, first attempt to ask for packet
retransmission at TCP level. Set a new, smaller timeout. Repeat this
process Y times, setting a smaller timeout each time. After Y retries,
assume connection timeout and instruct the client as such.

The satellite link I have, sometimes (probably noise) looses a packet
at pretty regular intervals. I'd like to ask squid to be more
aggressive with his requests to the parent cache to solve the lost
packets faster, without changing the behaviour for other programs and
interfaces.

Thank you.

=====
ing. Andrei Boros