Re: [squid-users] Squid Power

From: Francois Bradet <squidlist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:24:00 GMT

If you only have 700 megs of disk space for Squid, you have found a good
part of your problem. You should try to increase availaible disk space
significantly. You could add a larger hard drive and dedicate it to squid
use.

The larger your hard drive, the more effective the cache. Of course, it
doesn't scale linearly, so each increase in hard drive space yields a lower
increase in hit ratio than the last.

So, your first step should be dropping in a second hard drive. And
increasing the maximum time in cache to much longer than a day.

Then, you might want to consider upgrading to 2.4STABLE1 and using one of
the new removal-policies, which yield higher hit ratio. I've found that
using the heap LFUDA removal-policy and raising the maximum object size in
cache can help.

Don't make the mistake of only looking at the hit-ratio ! In most cases,
consider the KB-hit-ratio above the hit-ratio. It gives a better picture of
saved bandwith.

Also, you might want to consider filtering your internet access for ads.
Doing that will instantly drop your KB transfered by about 15-20%. Very
significant. You can do that with a squid redirector such as adzap, which
you can find at http://adzap.cs.zip.com.au.

If you want to go further in reducing KB transfered, you can filter out
certain filetypes such as mp3/mpeg/mpg/mov/zip/exe.. You can also provide
unfiltered access for those who need it.

Well, good luck !