[squid-users] Performance Tuning - Transparent Cache

From: Babak Farrokhi <farrokhi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:43:17 +0430 (IRST)

Hi,

I implemented a transparent cache using squid-2.4.stable on FreeBSD 4.2.
(IPFW for transparency, BIND for DNS Caching, softupdates).
I also used diskd for better performance.
But when I compare is to a cobalt cache appliance or other commercial
appliances, it has a short latency to serve objects. When I disable the
cache in my network, I get a better response time. MRTG shows a very nice
service time.
Using a cobalt cache, I get the whole webpage very fast. But behind my
squid box, it's slower. especially when I use it as transparent (in
tradiotional mode, it's faster).
Did I miss any trick to tune-up my cache? Has anyone such experience with
this thing?

Thanks,

--
Babak Farrokhi