RE: [squid-users] Informational Page at Login

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:41:30 +1000

Well such pages are typically taken from an on-disk master, so the
timeout would be user alterable. I'm not quite sure what you mean with
respect to the authentication dialog. The user would get the page
_after_ they successfully authenticate. With a (from memory - no
corrections please) Location: field in the response the browser
shouldn't get confused about the actual page returned being different to
the requested page.

> >> However, this would render all other applications except browsers
> >> completely without a clue as to what to do when they are talking to
> >>the proxy, but I guess if you add a check for browser id,
> you could get
> >>around that as well.
> >Unless the applications you are talking about use the embedded http
> >support microsoft supply. That could confuse things. Or an automated
> >download of pages with ie.
>
> Ah.. so the (is it ActiveX controls they call it, these
> programmers? :) MS
> IE thingy identifies itself as IE ?

The MSIE Http library is ~= libwww.

ActiveX is different - it refers to a particular type of COM object (~=
CORBA with no networking) that implements a required set of interfaces
that allow applications to use the object in predictable fashions. It's
no different to embeddable CORBA servers that display a user interface,
or a graphic representation and can handle events such as mouse clicks
and keyboard...

Realistically, ActiveX is a marketing term for a reusable object with a
user interface and event handling capability.

Rob