[squid-users] Blocking Streaming video and audio

From: Nigel Punton <nigelp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:54:43 -0400

I am using Squid 2.4 and squidGuard 1.1.4 on OpenBSD 2.8

Thanks to reading some great advice given by Robert Collins (on this mailing
list) I was able to block msn messenger by redirecting port 1863 to squid
port 3128 and blocking mime types in squid.conf see below...

acl msnmessenger req_mime_type ^application/x-msn-messenger$
acl msnsite url_regex msn
http_access deny msnmessenger
http_access deny msnsite

It worked like a charm :-)

I tried the same thing to block streaming audio and video
I research firewall sites to get a listing of over 40 mime types that audio
and video uses (I can post them if anyone is interested but too many for
this e-mail)

see a small sample of some of the 40+ entries below

acl media3 req_mime_type ^application/streamingmedia$
acl media28 req_mime_type ^audio/mid$
acl media38 req_mime_type ^video/mpeg$

http_access deny media3
http_access deny media28
http_access deny media38

Unfortunatly this didn't seem to work,

Does anyone know how to block streaming audio and video either with squid or
squidGuard.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Nigel