[squid-users] Re: Change of defaults in squid.conf

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:28:13 +0200

For a start "make install" does not install a new configuration file if
there is already one.

Second, a custom squid.conf can easily be installed with a

  cp your_custom_file.conf /path/to/squid.conf

just after you have run "make install".

I DO NOT recommend running with the full default squid.conf in
production. Your squid.conf should be cleaned up to only contain the
configuration directives you need, not the documentation. It also needs
to be adopted to your servers.

In many cases squid.conf is server name netural, and the same config can
be used on multiple identical servers.

No, the "make install" procedure does not support installation of custom
squid.conf versions, nor is there a way to selectively customize the
config before "make install", and I do not see it as a feature which
would benefit Squid if added. Such customizations are very easily done
outside the "make install" procedure, and need to be quite specific to
your needs anyway which a generic approach are not very likely to be.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker