Re: [squid-users] tuning squid 2.3/2.4 on a slow connection

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 05:52:09 -0500

There has been much discussion over the years about performance tuning
Squid. I've written an exhaustive article about tuning Squid for Linux,
which is here:

http://www.swelltech.com/pengies/joe/squidtuneup/t1.html

This includes most of what we do on our commercial cache appliances,
which outperform Cobalt by a /vast/ margin (see benchmarking results for
the extensive proof of this). I do not know what Cisco's performance
looks like, as I don't believe they have been to a cacheoff lately.
Cobalt boxes use a standard Squid--there is nothing magic about Cobalt's
Squid (or the Squid on our boxes for that matter, we just work harder to
make it go fast).

I'll be updating the article above in the next few weeks to take into
account all of the new features of 2.4 (which is as fast as
2.2STABLE5+hno that I recommend in the article), and give some pointers
for other OS options than Linux. Though the focus will still very much
be on using Linux on Intel hardware plus and async i/o compile of Squid,
because that is what I use, and that is what I know (not to mention that
it is the fastest commodity hardware/software platform for Squid, so the
natural choice when documenting tuning Squid for maximum performance).

Hope this helps.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances