Re: [squid-users] tuning squid 2.3/2.4 on a slow connection

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 09:52:01 -0600

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001, Babak Farrokhi wrote:
> Dear Joe,
>
> I already read your articles on optimizing squid. That's great. But
> unfortunately that's LINUX specific and many parts of it does not apply on
> BSD flavours. And I know most of web caching appliances are using Squid
> inside. I personally have experience with Cisco 505, Cobalt and MS ISA
> Server.
> But I think Cisco is faster. What a user expects from a cache is flashing
> web page on browser! But after applying lots of patches from various sites
> and reading lots of articles, and working on squid for more than 2 years,
> we do not have that performance that expected.
> I am going to launch a web site about tuning squid on FreeBSD to get the
> best performance, and also a mail list about squid performance. It will be
> available very soon and I will send introduction email to this list, very
> soon. All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Hi,

If you do this, please look at working with Joe to incorporate it
into a big document. That way, one of us squid guys can nab it and
place it on the squid website when its (semi-)-mature.

Yes, the cisco web cache is faster. Again, realise that squid
development right now is being one by volunteers who aren't
paid to (mainly) work on squid. This is why development is currently
a little 'bursty', as it happens when one of us gets some spare
time (ie holidays that we happen to have a computer nearby. :-)

You'll find that we know what we need to do to squid and the various
*nix kernels in order to squeeze high-end performance out of a webcache.
However, we just don't have the time.

Adrian