Re: [squid-users] No space for squid ?

From: Dr. Edgar Alwers <edgaralwers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 17:43:07 +0200

Hallo Henrik,

thanks very much for your answer. I am very new to squid, so perhaps I am
asking questions which are simple for an expert. Anyhow:

You wrote on Son, 08 Apr 2001 :

> Have you done what the message suggests?

May I shorten swap.state, swap.state.new ( why that ? ), access.log,cache.log
and store.log with an editor like vi withouth damaging something for squid ?
There are some files "access.log-20010207.gz" and similar. May I delete this
files ?

> This message is seen if Squid cannot write to it's logs or swap.state.
>
> Probable causes:
>
> a) You forgot to rotate the log files periodically, causing both
> access.log and swap.state to grow without bounds.

Very likely. I never set a "rotate" as I had no idea about. My informations are
based on "Squid: A User's Guide", from the Internet, and I did not find
anything about rotation. What does exactly "rotate" make?
BTW: if I give the command "squid -k rotate" in a console, I get the message
"squid: ERROR: Could not send signal 10 to process 373: (3) No such process"
What am I doing wrong ?

> c) A buggy Squid version who do not respect the cache size settings...
> (there has been some buggy versions and you did not tell which version
> you are using).

I am using squid 2.3 stable 3 under SuSE 6.4.

Thank you again for the help

--
Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers