Re: [squid-users] How to determine why an object isn't being cached?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 21:02:14 +0200

Denis Haskin wrote:

> I've applied Henrik's vary-2_4.patch and it appears that things are working
> as I expect, at least after preliminary testing.

Good. Thanks for telling. Makes me feel more comfortable in pushing for
Vary support to get into the mainstream Squid.

> I need to fool with the headers a bit more and test in more detail,
> particularly to examine what happens when the cache entries go stale.

Not much actually. The Vary based objects are just as any other objects,
the main difference is in how Squid finds the object.

One thing to note is that for Vary objects then there also exists a
dummy marker object indicating that the URL varies.

> One surprising thing I encountered is that Netscape 4.76 (Win32) appeared to
> be sending a "Pragma: no-cache" on its initial request for the content. I
> need to look at this more, but I'm sort of perplexed as to why it would do
> that.

Some browser versions are known to do this when you select a bookmark or
enter a link manually.

> Also, I made the foolish mistake of also applying some 2.4 patches ("Invalid
> object timestamp calc" and "Kill parent squid...") at the same time as the
> Vary patch, and the resulting binary was dumping core on startup. I haven't
> yet isolated why or checked the bug database (was failing while parsing the
> config file), but I will try to do so. When I backed out those patches and
> stuck with the Vary patch, all was hunky-dory.

Sounds like you forgot to do a "make clean". The symptoms you describe
are typical for "build Squid, apply patch, try to rebuild squid without
first running make clean".

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker