Re: [squid-users] parent cache config problems, please, help.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 10:57:39 +0200

Andrei B. wrote:

> --- Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se> wrote:
> > So your problem is really the setup of cache2 then (the parent).
> > Do you get anything interesting in cache.log?
> Yep:
> -----------
> 2001/04/11 11:00:53| idnsCheckQueue: ID 2: giving up after 20 tries and
> 110.1 seconds
> -----------

Odd.. hmm.. maybe udp_outgoing_address have implications on DNS
lookups.. but it shouldn't.

> this setup works. I had to set the outgoing address because I had to
> use one ISP, on a computer having ip's at 2 different ISP's. I have the
> first default route through this ISP (squid's), i must not use the
> other ISP at all for this, and I don't know how squid will select
> through which interface to go out...

Just like any other TCP/IP application. Normal routing applies.

Note: Setting the source IP does not force the packets to go to a
specific ISP unless you also use policy routing to route any packets
with that source to the correct ISP. Normal routing only looks at the
destination IP, and does not care about the source. This applies to
locally generated packets just as any forwarded packets.

> Going directly out like this, do you have any ideas on how to get
> objects from internal websites? I tried by forcing 2 outgoing
> addresses, and acl myip, but it didn't work.

Don't set outgoing address, instead use routing.

With Linux-2.4 policy routing you can even route per local application
(based on the userid of the process generating the packets).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker