[squid-users] ACL Question

From: Mike Diggins <diggins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:54:09 -0400 (EDT)

We're using a javascript autoconfig file (.pac) for autoconfiguring our
client's browser to use our Proxy server. The Proxy server is presently a
Netscape product but we're looking to switch to Squid.

The autoconfig scripts only work with some (mostly older) browsers. I was
thinking that Squid's ACL might be able to replace these scripts so they
work from any browser. Here's the criteria:

        . Only use the proxy to access Internet sites. All local sites
          should go direct (with no authentication prompt)
        . When an Internet site is requested, prompt for a username and
          password then go via the proxy

We use SMB_AUTH for our external authenticator which works. I can't figure
out how to only authenticate for external sites. Is this possible?

-Mike