[squid-users] transparent proxy

From: Greg <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:54:46 +1000

we are trying to get transparent proxy to work on our network, but we haven't had any luck yet.

when either machine has no load (no one is using it)
i can turn ip forwarding on and the traceroute to ww.looksmart.com.au works fine

when either machine has load, and you turn on ip forwarding
and i traceroute (from the proxy server console) to www.looksmart.com.au and other sites as well, it timesout on the router and then gets to where it is suppose to go.

both proxies are running 2.2.STABLE5 with the latest snapshot from henriks web site

the main one is running kernel 2.2.14-5.0, hasn't being recompiled, just installed with a cd and setup
and the test one is running 2.2.18 has being recompiled to make it smaller and faster.

it seems to me that when you turn on ip forwarding it adding something to the packets and then the router is having to work harder
and when its off, its all normal. so what exactly is ip forwarding doing to cause a problem like this?

main proxy
pII 333 512msg ultra160 scsi 10,000rpm drive, pci nic

test proxy, pII 333 160 meg ide pci nic