Re: [squid-users] External DNS Program

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:04:13 +0200

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

> >But you are quite likely to notice the drawbacks of the external DNS
> >helper if you use it. If DNS lookups are slow then the external DNS
> >helper will hit the roof and no further DNS lookups can complete (some
> >Squid versions even abort in such case).
>
> Will multiple external DNS helpers help improve performance of DNS lookups?

Well, that is why there are multiple of them by default (5 I think). But
I always used the maximum of 32.

The limitation that the external dnsserver helper can only handle one
DNS lookup at a time and cannot be aborted prior to the 2 minutes DNS
lookup timeout. The internal DNS client DOES NOT have this limitation
and can handle any number of concurrent lookups.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker