[squid-users] New Proxy Configuration

From: Brian Gould <brian.gould@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:57:19 +0100

I am restructuring a local school network which at present consists of
64(out of 200)
workstations with class 'C' public addresses accessing the internet via
an ISDN router. (The
remaining workstations do not have Internet access.

The workstation (Win95) IPstack is set up with a class 'C' address with
netmask 255.255.255.192,
the gateway being the address of the ISDN router. The DNS addresses are
194.238.48.3 and
194.238.48.2 (in search order) on the remote network.
The IE5 LAN setup is to connect to a proxy server
isdncache.rmplc.co.uk:8080 on the remote
network via the ISDN router.

As part of the restructure to give all workstations access to the
Internet and to control this
access I have now set up a linux/Squid proxy server with two interface
cards with routing
'on' which appears to be activated OK.

The workstations have now been reconfigured and assigned class 'B'
private addresses (DHCP) with
a mask of 255.255.0.0 linked to one interface card of the Squid proxy.

The second interface card of the proxy has a class 'C' public address
and is connected to the
ISDN router which has retained the original class 'C' public address.

My question is how do I set up the IPstack on the workstations, the IE5
LAN proxy setup and
squid.conf to ensure that all workstations can access the internet. Do I
need to tell the ISP
that we are linking to their proxy via a proxy server?.

Any assistance or thoughts for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian Gould
(IT Administrator)