Re: [squid-users] icp port problem

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:40:21 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Ronald wrote:

> > Port 3130 is typically where an ICP-aware proxy listens for ICP packets.
> > Port 7 is the "echo" port (see /etc/services). It is typicall handled by
> > inetd as an internal process and simply "echoes" back what you send it.
> > Since you have specified "no-query" I am guessing that "7" is there so
> > that if you query it you'll get an answer and not declare it dead and
> > therefore stop using it.
>
> Can u explain me again in detail???

What do you want to know? According to people who know squid better than I
do, you can put anything in the ICP port slot cos squid doesn't use it
when you specify "no-query". So, it doesn't matter whether you put 3130,
7, or 0. It never gets used. My previous statements about squid's use
of the ICP port were incorrect, in the "no-query" case.

Colin