[squid-users] memory utilisation

From: Edward <edward@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:15:16 -0400

Hi everyone!

I have a minor problem here.

I am running Squid 2.4 up to 20th of this month, Linux 2.2.17, 192MB, 2 9GB
UW SCSI (part 4GB each) and the OS and swapfile on an IDE hard drive.

Cache drive is running diskd

After a day or so, my squid w/ cache_mem =8 goes to 64Mb of memory usage.

Here is the TOP command:

 10:12am up 23:30, 1 user, load average: 0.19, 0.26, 0.21
CPU states: 8.5% user, 16.8% system, 0.0% nice, 74.6% idle
Mem: 191684K av, 188572K used, 3112K free, 24988K shrd, 39236K
buff
Swap: 40120K av, 6432K used, 33688K free 27384K
cached

    PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
  992 squid 20 0 94196 91M 3188 R 24.4 49.1 520:35 squid
 8321 root 2 0 1040 1040 816 R 0.7 0.5 0:01 top
  994 squid 0 0 1328 1328 748 S 0.1 0.6 0:38 diskd
  997 squid 0 0 1328 1328 748 S 0.1 0.6 0:14 diskd

I am also using FROX for FTP caching.

What can I do to reduce my memory usage since I am using the GNU Malloc with
seem to work better than the dmalloc the comes with squid.?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Edward Millington
(Network Administrator & Senior Technical Support Technician)
Cariaccess Communications Ltd.
Carlisle House
Hincks Street
Bridgetown