[squid-users] Squid Configuration

From: Brian Gould <brian.gould@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:55:58 +0100

Ben, thanks for your input but I still appear to have
a problem connecting through to the Internet with the
squid proxy setup. When I try to log on to an internet
site, the ISDN router fires up and connects to the ISP
and I can see activity (using ntop) with the DNS
servers, but the workstation is coming back with a
timeout message.

If I set the workstation up with the same public
address as is defined on the proxy interface and
bypass squid, it works OK.

Am I doing something wrong in the Squid config?

Regards

Brian Gould

I am restructuring a local school network which at
present consists of 64(out of 200)workstations with
class 'C' public addresses accessing the internet via
an ISDN router. (The remaining workstations do not
have Internet access).

The workstation (Win95) IPstack is set up with a class
'C' address with
netmask 255.255.255.192,
the gateway being the address of the ISDN router. The
DNS addresses are
194.238.48.3 and
194.238.48.2 (in search order) on the remote network.
The IE5 LAN setup is to connect to a proxy server
isdncache.rmplc.co.uk:8080 on the remote
network via the ISDN router.

As part of the restructure to give all workstations
access to the Internet and to control this
access I have now set up a linux/Squid proxy server
with two interface cards with routing
'on' which appears to be activated OK.

The workstations have now been reconfigured and
assigned class 'B' private addresses (DHCP) with
a mask of 255.255.0.0 linked to one interface card of
the Squid proxy.

The second interface card of the proxy has a class 'C'
public address and is connected to the ISDN router
which has retained the original class 'C' public
address.

My question is how do I set up the IPstack on the
workstations, the IE5 LAN proxy setup and squid.conf
to ensure that all workstations can access the
internet.

Any assistance or thoughts for improvement would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian Gould
(IT Administrator)

> As part of the restructure to give all workstations
access to the
> Internet and to control this
> access I have now set up a linux/Squid proxy server
with two
interface
> cards with routing
> 'on' which appears to be activated OK.
>
> The workstations have now been reconfigured and
assigned class 'B'
> private addresses (DHCP) with
> a mask of 255.255.0.0 linked to one interface card
of the Squid
proxy.

> The second interface card of the proxy has a class
'C' public address
> and is connected to the
> ISDN router which has retained the original class
'C' public address.

> My question is how do I set up the IPstack on the
workstations, the
IE5
> LAN proxy setup and
> squid.conf to ensure that all workstations can
access the internet.
Do I
> need to tell the ISP
> that we are linking to their proxy via a proxy
server?.
You do not need to contact the ISP for any reason.

The windows workstation configuration should be:
DHCP assigned IP
DHCP servers can assign subnet masks, ip numbers,
gateways, dns
servers,
etc.
You need to configure your DHCP server to assign class
16 bit network
mask
(255.255.0.0), on the subnet:
for example: 10.10.*.*
(Well 16 bit subnet isn't best, but it will work fine
in your
situation)

Each workstation needs the IP# of your squid server,
for example:
10.10.0.1
with the appropriate port (3128 is default on squid).

After that it setup properly, you should be able to
boot any Win9x
workstation and they should run fine on the Internet,
if squid is setup
properly.