Re: [squid-users] AS based acls

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:39:26 -0600

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:
> > > i do the same for poland but here it's a lot of subnets.
> >
> > You could use the as feature - just use whois.ripe.net as your as server.
> >
> > However, if you want to do it based on the IP ranges, and you have a script,
> > you could always set up a local copy of the ripedb and mirror the ripe
> > database. That way you'd have to download one checkpoint of the db, and then
> > "updates" (which are rather small).
>
> how to download "updates"?????
>
> it would be excellent as whole ripe.in.db.gz file takes 20MB

From memory there's a protocol which the registry dbs can use to send
updates between each other.

This is how mirror each other (eg why you can do a whois on
whois.radb.net and have RIPE, CW / MCI, AUNIC, etc objects floating about..)

It'd be kinda stupid for everyone who runs a local registry in order to
generate routing policies quickly to need to download a few 20mb files
every hour/day :-)

There's documentation for the ripedb on the ripe website. I don't remember
the URL off hand.

Adrian