[squid-users] Netscape to Squid conversion Issues

From: <mcnatton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:20:50 -0400

Here's a situation we're facing and I'm curious if anyone has some
insight into how we might approach this problem.

We currently have approximately 10,000 pcs, a very large portion of
which are configured in one of two ways.

A. Netscape browsers with manual proxy servers set up for http and
https as proxy.host.net:8080
B. Netscape browsers with automatic proxy configuration with URL
setup as proxy.host.net:8080 (note they're the same).

We're also in the process of changing from netscape admin-server and
netscape proxy server to apache and squid version 2.3.STABLE4 with
smartfilter extensions. All of this is running on Solaris 2.7.

This setup runs fine when pointing to the netscape admin-server/proxy
server configuration.

The problem I'm having is when I point one of the "automatic"
configured pcs to one of the boxes running SQUID. At startup, the
user receives a message saying the automatic configuration has failed
and on the squid server I see the following access.log entry.

10.49.0.145 - - [30/Apr/2001:16:28:40 -0400] "GET / HTTP/0.0" 400 1094
NONE:NONE

From the docs, it's clear that I need to provide a proxy.pac file
telling the users what their automatic configuration should be. The
problem I'm having is how to provide this info and provide
filtering/caching all from the same port?

Having all the users change their configuration to point to another
port or host isn't an attractive option (120+ sites, 6000 pcs likely
to be touched). If I must do that, I'd much prefer to cut over to
transparent proxying so we don't face this problem again in the
future and it's trivial for the end users to reconfigure.

Thanks,
-- steve