[squid-users] location of web cache

From: Adam Lang <aalang@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:46:25 -0400

I'm beating myself up on the pros and cons of where I want to locate the
Proxy server (caches for clients getting webpages... no acceleration).

I have the following setup.

Internet

public router

firewall

DMZ

firewall

internal network

Do I want to put Squid in the internal network or the DMZ? The argument for
each in a nutshell is: DMZ offers more security control, but the internal
network would optimize bandwidth even more (cached pages wouldn't be served
across the internal firewall). (Side note. both firewalls use 10 MB
connections, so technically squid would be able to server pages faster on
the internal network)

Opinions?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer