Re: [squid-users] Squid and EOL

From: Andrei B. <andrixnet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 00:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

 --- Michael Smirnov <smb@mh.vstu.edu.ru> wrote:
> Which solutions for Squid exist for load-balancing between
> 2 links to Internet:
> 1 .Leased line 128 Kbps: Direct or provider's Squid parent proxy
 with
> no
> limit.
> 2. Satellite: Europe online(EOL) with max. ~8 TCP connections
 (maybe
> also parent Squid)
 why 8 connections? AFAIK through EOL there isn't such a limit imposed
 by them...

> Commonly, we should
> 1. Load all big files through EOL, others(small) through leased
 line.
> 2. Download 8 of these big files through EOL, other throug leased
> line.
> 3.........please recommend

 Other solutions:
 - browsing through EOL can be at times excellent, at times it's a
 drag.
 Like a 9600 modem...

 suggestion 1 : Load balancing:
 squid.conf :
 cache_peer isp-parent-proxy [options] round-robin
 cache_peer proxy.xxx.europeonline.net [options] round-robin

 squid will rotate queries through both your leased line ISP and EOL
 in
 a round-robin fashion.

 suggestion 2 :
 add to squid.conf :
 # use this line in suggestion 1 too.
 cache_peer proxy.xxx.europeonline.net parent 8080 7 no-query
 no-digest
 login=user:password

 # presumably big files are archives, executables, etc
 acl bigfiles urlpath_regex -i file-extensions
 always_direct deny bigfiles
 never_direct allow bigfiles
 #####################
 file-extentions : (it's a file continaing regex patterns for file
 types)
 \.zip$
 \.tgz$
 \.rpm$
 \.exe$
 \.tar$
 \.bin$
 \.hqx$
 \.gz$

 # feel free to add other file extensions.

 What this does :
 normal files (html, images, txt, etc) are fetched through your leased
 line.
 zip, exe, tar, gz, etc. are fetched through EOL. (presumably these
 are
 large files).

 If you switch transponders, you must edit squid.conf, change the
 proxy
 address and reload configuration.

 As Henrik Nordstrom suggested me, you could put cache_peer lines for
 all the 4 EOL proxy's. Squid will determine which ones are not
 accesible and mark them as down. This however will add some delay in
 answering queries when you are switching transponders (and proxy),
 until it determines which addresses are down.

 squid-users, if I made a syntax mistake, please correct, I have this
 squid.conf at home.

=====
ing. Andrei Boros
Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei