Re: [squid-users] Hot Objects!!

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 06:31:31 -0600

On Fri, May 04, 2001, Bhanu prakash wrote:
> Hi ,
> What are the criteria that are used by squid for maintaining "Hot objects" in memory. ? I mean, which algorithm does squid use for this purpose. Does it make use of any heuristics?!!

Yes:

(I'm using squid.conf terms here)

* if the object is larger than maximum_object_size_in_memory, then
  the object is "cleaned" and it comes out of the hot object cache
* if we run out of cache_mem then memory_replacement_policy is used
  to determine which objects are to be "cleaned" (ie their memory
  returned to the pool), and they come out of the hot object cache

Once an object is out of the hot object cache, it can't reenter
the cache. squid-2's hot object cache therefore isn't a "real"
hot object cache.

Hope this helps,

Adrian