[squid-users] routing OR different IP address

From: Edward <edward@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 00:20:18 -0400

Hi everyone!

This question is to anyone who knows squid very well.

Suppose I have 2 subnets of different classes.

1. I am using squid 2.5 Devel 1 (w/ latest snapshot and tosacl) on redhat 7.0/7.1

2. 1 or 2 NIC cards.

3. These two classes are on an ISP network.

4. n/a for now.

Ok, here is my question:

I am using acl_map2_outgoing to have squid used a particular IP for each subnet. Remember that the subnets are setup on the router (cisco) (Do I need two NICs???)

When not use (acl_map2_outgoing ), the machine will use its ip address!???

Now when used, what is the difference in operations?

When such a reply is made, does information comes back to to the "outgoing ip?" "Yes it does"!!!???

Good, with that in mind, what would the setup be on the NIC, routing and so on?

You can only define one default gateway on an interface.

Now if one gateway is define, and you route the other subnet to the cisco (route add x1.x1.x1.0 gw x.x.x.1 eth1), what would the normal ip path look like if you use 1/2 cards?

    Results: pinging shows that subnet with 2 nic setup, which has an IP belonging to that subnet, ping an ip within that subnet

Now if possible routing is setup in the cisco to route to one of the subnet containing the caching server, say 1.1.0.4. What will happen to the other subnet when squid use that outgoing address from that subnet?

Would it keep on getting bounce back? ------------- cisco-to-cache cache-to-cisco and so forth

I would greatly appreciate anyone input to this matter.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Edward Millington
(Network Administrator & Senior Technical Support Technician)
Cariaccess Communications Ltd.
Wildey
St. Michael
Barbados