Re: [squid-users] Sizing a pretty Large Squid Install

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 15:30:23 -0500

Hi Mark,

I've written a tuning article about Squid on Linux in the past (as soon
as I have the time, I'll update it to reflect that Squid 2.4 is now
about as fast as the version documented in the article):

http://www.swelltech.com/pengies/joe/squidtuneup/t1.html

Tuning any reasonably modern hardware with enough RAM using the steps in
the article will get you up to about 100 reqs sec, pretty easily (you'll
want more than 512MB is you're using 32GB of disk space, however--768MB
is probably a safe minimum).

Clustering becomes more cost-effective than building a bigger box
somewhere between 150 and 220 reqs/sec. client load (and by that time
you're into a very big box--at least 1GB RAM, and probably 4 10,000 RPM
disks, and a GHz processor).

I've also written an article on building a caching infrastructure with
Squid (it's focused on our products, but if you have tuned your Squid
properly, then the sizing info will apply to you too):

http://www.swelltech.com/support/sizecache/t1.html

It's also getting some age on it...but the advice is still relevant, and
Squid hasn't gotten any more memory efficient since I wrote it.

Good luck!

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances