Re: [squid-users] Memory usage

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:22:37 +0200 (MESZ)

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Subba Rao wrote:

> > Subba Rao wrote:
> >>
> >> It is not that I don't use the Web that much. I do use it a lot and I do take
> >> lot of breaks too. Why is Squid using up 25% of the memory especially when I
> >> am not searching the web? There is no disk activity either, like updating the
> >> cached objects in it's DB.

IMHO I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of squid. It sits on a
proxy machine and caches often used stuff to speed up response time (and
maybe reduce net traffic). IMHO it makes perfectly sense that it allocates
and keeps a bunch of memory for the most likely next requests since it can
respond faster from memory than from disk.

Squid has many other features for sure, but this is still the major
purpose. Paging out stuff in idle time (and forget it) would defeat this
purpose. It might be sensible for squid to page this stuff to disk in
addition to keeping it in memory with regards to a crash of the machine.
But I don't think squid has to care for this case. So it even makes sense
not to move these pages to disk (and have more room there for other
stuff).

AFAIK, there is an option to reduce/set the amount of memory squid
uses for caching, but it seems you don't want a cache at all. Maybe
it is better to disable all caching in squid or maybe not use a proxy at
all?

Michael.

--
Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,