Re: [squid-users] Squid usage

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:36:03 -0500

BLATS@fr.ibm.com wrote:

> I have several questions
>
> 1) could I add another CPU (bi processor)

Yeah, but it won't do much good. Squid is single process, and doesn't
scale to multiple processes very well. It can help a little bit though
since you have diskd processes... (But you'll find CPU usage of the
other processor will only reach about 10-20%.)

> 2) what are the interresting item in the stats

In your case, in the info (General information) page:

HTTP requests per minute: 5997.4 -- This means you're serving 100
reqs/sec. A pretty big load, and explains why:

Cache Hits: 0.61549 0.55240 -- This is quite slow for hits.
  It means your box is probably being overloaded quite a bit.

There's lots more information you have to work with, but these alone
tell you that you need to keep tuning.

> 3) I have reach 105 requests/sec what is the potential number I can reach

Your box is peaking already...Service times will only get longer from
there, unless you upgrade your box somewhat, or keep tuning it
(primarily raising the size of the cache_dirs, as I suggested earlier).

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances