Re: [squid-users] Cisco Question

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:50:28 +0200

At 11:32 PM 5/14/01 -0700, Sphix White wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'm trying to set-up a cisco 2511 as my access server.
>I was able to successfully connect through dial-up but
>the problem is that I can only surf the internet if my
>browser is configured to use a proxy server. I cannot
>even ping outside, all i can reach are the
>computers/servers members of the same subnet. I tried
>connecting to chat but an error said "No Route to
>Host".
>Do I need to enable/disable something? Also, I can't
>ping the IP assigned to Eth0 from the Internet.

It is a bit off-topic for the Squid mailing list but lets see if I can give
some answers.

What you describe resembles a very common "problem". If the proxy is on the
same subnet as the client, I guess the default gateways is not configured
as it should in the clients. If the proxy is on the other side of the
router (so no in the clients subnet) your routing tables are not complete.
Look in that direction...

PS the info you provided is quite minimal so I can only give you general
directions. Assuming you know routers you will be able to figure it out though.

Marc