Re: [squid-users] readymade blockinglist for nazistuff

From: Simon Bryan <sbryan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:55:11 +1000

At 02:09 16/05/2001, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:
> > > nazi
> > >
> > >IMHO blocking anything doesn't make sense. without blocking at least you
> > >could know who is browsing such pages. when blocked one interested in
> > >viewing such things WILL find a way to do it.
> >
> > Unless you scan logs for DENIED as well, such as SARG does.
>
>and what you will do to someone trying (without success) to watch such
>page?
>
>IMHO nonsense. there are freedom of speech. better do good anty-nazi
>webpage.

Where I am, Sydney Australia, in a school. There are also laws about Child
Protection and Duty of Care, that I have to abide by. However in fact I
would probably not block a Nazi site, as I would hope the girls would see
through the idiocy of such people, and this information could have valid
educational uses. It is a little like 'security by obscurity. But we do use
the techniques to block access to other unsuitable sites that have no
educational value. This is largely based on the concept that our computers
and bandwidth are limited and thus should be preserved for educational use.

Cheers,

Simon Bryan
IT Manager
OLMC Parramatta