Re: [squid-users] Require help with memory usage of my squid.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:34:03 +0200

Torsten.Lange@GECITS-EU.COM wrote:

> i know that you might find it a really stupid question, but i did not get
> the real meaning
> of the parameters behind the cache_size, except from telling squid how many
> directories
> and sub-directories it shall use. i guess, these parameters do affect the
> cache size as well?

They tell the number of directories, and number of files to put in each.
Nothing more. If the total number of directores (L1 * L2) is too small
then all that happens is that Squid wraps around on the L1 directories,
thinking that there are more than there are, storing objects in the
first directories.

I.e. if there would have needed to be 16 L1 directories to account for
the total number of object you have, but you only have 10 L1 directories
confitued, then the first 6 will be used twice.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker