Re: [squid-users] "_" (underline) in website names

From: John W Baxter <jwblist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:30:06 -0700

At 12:40 +1000 5/19/2001, Robert Collins wrote:
>Not for RFC 2616. "a proxy MUST implement both the client and server
>requirements." Squid is not permitted to forward requests that do not
>meet the requirements of the specification. Thus squid is not allowed to
>forward requests with "_" in the hostname.

That's all well and good, but who gets to explain that to the powers that be at
    nh_bremerton.med.navy.mil [Bremerton Naval Hospital, Bremerton, WA]
It is (until we recompile) blocking access to their web site from home from
someone working at a higher-level office (they use absolute internal URL
links, not relative, so going in with an IP address doesn't help). There's
a good chance that they've used that name since before it became improper.

Thanks for the thread, which shows me a likely solution for our problem,
despite RFC2616. It's good to have the option.

   --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA