Re: [squid-users] high level udp port

From: robert <berzerke@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:35:36 -0500

On Monday 21 May 2001 01:36, Colin Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 21 May 2001, robert wrote:
> > While checking for listening ports (using netstat), I noticed the squid
> > process has opened a udp port at 32771. To be sure, I restarted squid
> > and it reopened a udp port, this time at 32773. Why is it opening this
> > port, and how do I close it (assuming I want to)?
>
> Only guessing but it's probably for DNS.
>
> Colin

I don't think it's DNS. This is a listening port. You don't need a
listening port to do DNS queries (unless I'm badly mistaken).

Note the actual (Linux) command for anyone else who wants to see if squid has
a port open and listening on their machine is:

netstat -n -p --inet -a

May want to pipe the results through less (or more).