[squid-users] squid 2.4 memory usage

From: Jordan Russell <jrlsquid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:28:16 -0500

I've observed a similar problem on Linux similar to what Florin Andrei
described. I haven't yet seen a crash, but there definitely is some kind of
difference between 2.3stable4 and 2.4stable1 when it comes to memory usage.

Twice in the past week I've seen the squid process jump to 2-4 times the
normal size over the course of a day or so. Normally the squid memory usage
as seen with "top" stays steady at 30MB but I've noticed it jump to 121MB
and 54MB (what it's at right now). Never did this happen with 2.3stable4.

I have a full 1500MB disk cache and cachemgr.cgi is currently reporting
15844570 bytes total. However, top is saying 54MB. I'm sure that if I
restarted squid right now it would go back down to 30MB and stay there for a
few days.

Is there anything I need to do to help debug this?
(I'm assuming the memory usage suddenly & drastically increasing is a bug
and not due to some feature!)

Jordan Russell