[squid-users] SQUID2.5.D/lx2.4.4 - Peer failover - how to config squid to fail over to direct queries if upstream is offline? (NON-ICP PEER)

From: Ben Ryan <ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:22:12 +1000

Hi all, hope someone can help me out on this one...

Have a slackware(lx2.2.4) box with squid 2.5.D installed to default
path.

I have to insert the squid box to replace the MS ISA
server (it needs some kinetic maintenance).
This squid box will take over the primary handling of web caching for
the users. It will then chain through to the MS ISA machine.

What I'm trying to do is to use the squid box to put a layer of fault
tolerance between the unstable ISA server and the users - the ISA box
falls over regularly - to divert traffic through the ISA server when
the ISA box is up, and to detect when it's down and route queries directly out.

I have given the crawlers/faq's a good workout but can't seem to find out
exactly how to configure squid for this particular configuration.
I basically want squid to route all requests through the ISA box, and
if the queries timeout (eg BSOD) then route them directly for a while.

The reason the ISA box needs to stay in the loop is to keep traffic
loads on it so I can do proper debugging, but I don't want to have to
expose the users to service outages.

Can somebody help me, if not, point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance

ben