Re: [squid-users] dlmalloc version ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:17:23 +0200

Florin Andrei wrote:

> I saw in squid-2.4 sources that it includes dlmalloc-2.6.4 (september
> 98). But here ftp://g.oswego.edu/pub/misc/malloc.c is a much newer
> version (2.7.0, march 2001).

Basically because the old one works good enought for the few OS:es where
the standard allocator is broken, and noone has bothered with updating
it.

> Is it OK to replace the dlmalloc.c file from the Squid sources with the
> newer version?

Should be, but you shouldn't need to use it when running on any decent
OS.

A sign that investigating switching malloc might be a good idea is if
the amount of free memory reported by mallinfo keeps on growing a lot
(see General runtime information).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker