[squid-users] [SQU] Real time monitoring (snmp & mtrg)

From: <Michael.J.Anderson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 15:21:12 +1000

Hi Guys,

We recently had a problem with our squid proxy server. I seemed that
somebody
was basically hogging the link (the problem was exacerbated due to a lack
of
redirectors).

The upshot of this was that management decided that it was imperative that
we
be able to know at any point in time who is using the proxy server.

I have since installed mrtg, and recompiled squid (and modified the
squid.conf)
to allow me to use snmp. So I can now monitor several aspects of squid in
real
time. This unfortunately is not good enough, I need to be able to identify
particular
clients (so that we can have a "chat" to them). As far as I can see mrtg
only
supplies summary information i.e. the number of interfaces, or total http
requests, not
each interface that was used in the last 5 mins (and even if it did how
would I identify
the interface that was still using the cache as opposed to one that had
finished).

I though of using the access.log file but then realised that an entry does
not
go into that file until after that particular file has been fully entered
into cache i.e. If I
had 5 users downloading a 50 meg file each then the bandwidth usage would
spike
but there would be no entry in access.log until the dl had finished.

If anyone knows of a util that will fit my purposes - or a way to
manipulate mrtg to supply
this info it would be greatly appreciated.

I am running squid 2.4 stable 1 and 2.3 stable 3
on solaris 2.7 and mandrake linux respectively

Thanks

Michael Anderson