Re: [squid-users] Help! Can squid authentication log user activities?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 16:14:22 +0200

Squid's authentication should work just fine.

In case of Squid there is no "login/logout", only authentication which
is performed per request.

The question you need to ask next is where is the end-user database
information kept? (login+password). Then pick a suitable Squid
authentication module for connecting to this user database.

If you do not have a user database today, then you need to carefully
consider how you imagine that you'd like to use the user database. If
only for Squid then pick NCSA as it is a very simple approach to start
with. If more complex uses then I'd recommend considering LDAP or some
other network user directory. Well, in fact if you have more than a 50
users I'd probably recommend LDAP even if only for Squid, as it is very
likely you'd like to extend the functionality of the userdatabase later
on to also contain email address directory and similar things.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker