[squid-users] newbie question about authentication

From: Timothy C Litwiller <timlitw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:08:46 -0500

I have read thru the archives and have not seen anything specifically
addressing what I want/need to accomplish with adding authentication to
my squid setup.

I am trying to use pam_auth and I can get it to work allowing all or
denying all, but what I really need to do is be able to add/remove users
from a www group and only allow then access if they are in that group.

I don't want to have to manually update a list of users for squid
because potentially if this works for this one school building there
will be 3 other entire school districts with up to 1500 users, per
installation that will be wanting this.

We are trying to get away from the headaches they are having with MS
proxy 2.0 and also help them with the avoid cost of client licenses
since in Kansas anyways the School budgets are cut way back "some
schools up to 40% less" for the coming year.