[squid-users] Replace squid with "A Box" ??

From: Pat Newby <P.Newby@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:38:27 +0100 (BST)

We're running squid on a Solaris machine.

Over the past few months, I've been forwarding messages to managers
and networking people here, from squid-users, about why transparent
caching will not work. We're an IE5 site, which doesn't help.

Our head of networking says that he can buy a box (for example a
"NetCache C1100 Web Caching Appliance") which will do transparent
caching with no problems. The rest of the world is doing this, so it
must be a problem with squid, in that squid is unable to do the same.

On a similiar topic, he says that the same box will cache streaming
media, which squid is unable to do at the moment. (And that it will
do a lot of other things as well of course).

Would anyone care to comment ?

Pat.
Pat Newby, IT and Computing Services (ITCS),
           University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK.