[squid-users] FTP delay with cascaded SQUID Proxys

From: Petry Roman, ITS-IT <Roman.Petry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:57:40 +0200

Hello,

i just upgraded our main squid proxys to 2.4Stable1 and we have still this
strange behavior...I hope someybody could help me..

Our squid network has the following topology...

Client --> Squid1 --> Squid2 --> Squid3 --> Squid4 --> ftp-server
                DNS DNS

Client runs under NT4.0 I-Explorer 5.5
Squid1 runs 2.4Stable1
Squid2 runs 2.2
Squid3 runs 2.2
Squid4 runs 2.4Stable1

If we do ordinary html surfing everything is o.k.. The access time with our
2MBit leased line is very fast.

But if we try to do a ftp it takes nearly 1-2 minutes to get the filelist of
the server.. everytime we change the directory, it takes another 1-2 minutes
to get the new list and so on...

Squids are configured as follows:
Squid1 has Squid2 as his parent, Squid2 has Squid3 as his parent and Squid3
has Squid4 as his parent and Squid4 is the only one which has directly
access to the I-net... Squid1 and Squid4 has access to DNS, Squid and Squid3
donīt have access to DNS...

Perhaps squid waits for timeout or so, i donīt know... Does anybody have an
idea what goes wrong with ftp through squid ??

If the download has started, it goes quick ( 150 KB / sec ).. But the
changing of the directorys is a pain..

Thanks for your help and sorry for the bad grammar...

mfg
Roman Petry
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
ITS-IT
AG der Dillinger Huettenwerke
Tel.: 0049-6831-474670
Fax.: 0049-6831-473505